Train children in the right way,
and when old, they will not stray.
Inspired by this word of God, Catechism has a pivotal role in our parish where we envisage a faith filled future generation who is able to impart the same to their young and keep the flame of faith alive.
Our Catechists carry on the mission of our Lord by living themselves and nurturing the faith of the young, developing Christ-like attitude and service in them, empowering them with traditional prayers and word of God, imparting the traditions and culture of the Syro-Malabar church and there by developing future leaders of the church.
Our Catechism ministry is built upon these core values.
- Prayer as a priority in both congregational and personal life.
- A strong ministry which teaches, equips, and trains children and young people to be discerning and courageous Christians.
- Ministry that occurs in relationships and close fellowship ensuring mutual respect and development of one another.
- Setting examples to the young ones by way of life and service.
- Strengthening own spirituality through regular sacraments, prayer and word of god.
ACTIVITIES AT A GLANCE
- Regular classes on Sundays 11.00 am -12.30 pm ( Reservoir Centre) and 3.00 pm -4.30 pm (Craigieburn Centre).
- Varied teaching activities and styles including
- audio visual aids
- active interactions
- Research/Project work
- Systematic and ongoing evaluation
- Feed back to parents and kids
- Altar server training
- Kids choir
- Lectors training
- Various in house and inter centre competitions
- Bible Quiz competition
- Annual retreat
- Preparation for reconciliation, first Holy Communion and confirmation
- Teachers training Program
- Regular Teachers meeting
- Teachers annual thanksgiving fellowship
Catechism classes are conducted in two different centres where each centre has its own catechists and coordinators. The leadership team meet along with the Chaplin once in four months to share, discuss and plan current and future activities and the decisions are communicated to respective catechists.
- Catechetical Text book from SYROMALABAR CATECHETICAL CENTRE
- Catechism of the Catholic church
- Supplementary text – BASIC CHRISTIAN
- Catechetical Diary ( Year Planner)
- Online Resources
- Resource speakers
Craigieburn Centre has 131 children from grades 1-10.Regular classes on every Sundays at 3-4.15 pm at Our lady’s Church Craigiebyrn. A high school catechism program is underway for Grade 11 and 12 students. There are 23 dedicated teachers and two coordinators serving the ministry.
Abish Jose,Gladis Sebastian,Cleetus Chacko, Seema George, Bincy Sunil, Marykutty Thomas, Geom George, Reji Varghese, Betsy Antony, Jobin Joseph, Jaimol Joby, Alfred Mathew, Sabitha Shijo, Elen Sebastian, Mini Thomas, Jyothis Jose, Joji Jacob, Sibi Issac, Sharone Jolly, Beena Benny, Boppin John, Benny Sebastian, Jento Joy.
Reservoir Centre has 132 children from grades 1-10.Regular classes on every Sundays at 11.00 am to 12.15 pm at St Stephen’s Church, Reservoir. A high school catechism program is underway for Grade 11 and 12 students. There are 20 dedicated teachers and two coordinators serving the ministry.
Joby Philip, Sabu George, Ambily Biju, Cemy Mathew, Soju Varghese, Salimma Mathew, Justin Mathew, Shirley Abraham, Dency Bijoy, Riji George, Lukose Sebastian, Jancy Shaji, Davis Thomas, Thomas Sebastian, Tomy Thomas, Joy Mathew, Rijo George, Assis Mathew, Shiji Thomas, Vijoy Francis.